ADVERTISEMENT FOR PEACEBUILDING AND RESEARCH COORDINATOR VACANCY
Reports to: The Senior Program Officer
Responsible for: Project officer and Project Assistant
Liaises with: Archbishop, Bishops, Clergy, Executive Director, Finance Manager, Communication officers, Provincial staff, ADS Regional Directors and staff.
Overview of the position:
Under the Supervision of the Senior Programme Officer, the Peace Building and Research Coordinator will be responsible for the vision, strategy design, monitoring and quality delivery of the Peace Building and research Program for ADS Kenya. He /She shall ensure that projects plans are in place and kept updated as per the objectives of ADS Kenya Strategic Plan and ACK Decade Strategy 2018-2028; and that Peace Building and Research activities are implemented in line with the overall ADS Advocacy Program goal. The position also manages, oversees the implementation of the Peace building and research projects and staff/consultants. The coordinator will be based in Nairobi to effectively run the programme and research portfolio.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Planning and Program Development
- Develop or review Peace Building Programmed Strategy with regular analysis of political and security development in the Country.
- Lead proposal development process and grant-writing for any new opportunities specifically for conflict sensitivity / Peace building projects and input into design of all projects as a cross-cutting themes.
- Programme Planning and Implementation
- Provide quality leadership in the overall co-ordination and management of the Peace Building programme.
- Organize and participate in workshops, need assessments,consultations,planning sessions and provide technical inputs as necessary.
- Help ensure that project activities are implemented with a consistent conflict sensitive framework:-i.e. conduct conflict and context assessments, provide technical support and training to communities and staff.
- Identify the Capacity gaps and requirements of Anglican Church of Kenya/Anglican Development services in relation with stakeholders and partners and work towards the enhancement of civil society and partners organizations through the:-development of understanding and capacity of partners organizations to implement conflict prevention and post conflict management activities; assistance in the in the design and delivery of radio and social media and other support activities at community levels.
- Organize Peace building activities such as sports, radio shows, Peace building caravans, fork songs and healthy competitions and Peace building clubs in schools , churches and in the community. Recognition and honoring Community peace Champions and Ambassadors.
- Support community develop memorandums’ and present to relevant authorities and Community Peace Agreements
Undertake and coordinate research by ADS/ACK and or local partners including analyzing and draft research reports and regular policy and thematic briefing and monitoring and overseeing partners and consultant’s work.
(i)Contribute to effective communication and reporting on ADS program activities in the field.
(ii) Oversee periodic technical reviews and manage changes in program direction and focus.
- Support in knowledge management including documentation of most significant change stories.
- Conduct research on topical issues such as radicalization, human trafficking and legislations.
Mentor and Coach team members as they perform their duties.
- Programme Monitoring, evaluation, Accountability and learnings(PMEAL)
- Conduct frequent supervision and monitoring visits to project areas and identify any issues needing attention related to implementation, donor compliance and program quality standards.
- Take responsibility for the implementation of learning and recommendations from external or internal reviews and donor feedback.
- Take responsibility for development of detailed costed work plans of the start of the project and ensure monthly updates are made to the output data bases.
- Work with the Senior Program Officer and Project Officer to plan baseline and end line surveys and external evaluations.
- Ensure that beneficiaries have access to feedback mechanisms and that data is monitored and responses given within appropriate time periods.
- Coordination and Networking:
- In consultation, with Senior Program Officer represent ADS Kenya at meetings, seminars coordination fora and other approved events.
- Ensure good collaboration and working relationship with county and National governments.
- Create appropriate links working procedures and information sharing with the key stakeholders.
- Work with ADS Regions and other departments of ACK to increase social transformation and cross-organizational planning and learning.
- Program Reporting
- Ensure donor reports are produced on time and to high standards.
- Provide brief update(biweekly and weekly) to Senior Program Officer(SPO) and Executive Director(ED).
- Submit monthly reports to. The SPO by deadline of compilation.
- Support Senior Program Officer in preparing for Program and Resource mobilization Committee meetings.
- Provide to Donors, Senior Program Committee with timely responses to queries on concepts, proposals, research reports, project implementation and reports.
- Report any new developments problems and challenges encountered in implementing emergency responses and progress in a timely manner.
- Other duties:
Undertake any other official delegated duty from time to time by the organization or line manager.
- Master’s Degree in Development Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science or a related discipline or equivalent experience .
- At least five years -experience of project implementation, including engagement with several actors, civil society both county and National governments or specialized networks.
- A good understanding of conflict hotspots in Kenya, particularly in terms of Key cultural, political and social economic issues.
- A good knowledge of the discourse on conflict prone areas in fragile societies and the implications that this has for conflict prevention, peace building participatory methodologies and related issues.
- An excellent knowledge of the discourse on security and security sector development, community security.
- Human rights and conflict prevention.
- Excellent diplomacy and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a non -partisan manner, appreciate gender, cultural and ethnic diversity.
- Ability to work individually with minimum supervision but also with good experience of working effectively as part of diverse complex team.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively with attention to detail and an orderly approach to tasks.
- Strong research and analytical skills, including developing research methodology, analyzing research findings and drafting reports and briefings.
- Excellent writing skills both written and spoken.
- Good understanding of Donor regulations e.g. EU and USAID.
Other essential attributes
- Demonstrate Strong Christian Commitment.
- Must have a hands -on practical mentality, be self- drive and very motivated.
- Must be well organized with very high attention to detail.
- Able to take initiative and work independently and appreciate inter department linkages.
- Cultural and political sensitivity.
- Good workshop planning and facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of Computer e.g. SSPP,ERP Excel.
- Willing to travel to remote and sensitive areas and a clean Driving license.
Compensation: A basic salary based on qualification and experience ,plus other benefits in line with organization policy. Indicate your expected salary in your application.
How to apply
Please send us your Cover letter and detailed C.V including your qualifications, testimonials and experience. Your application should also include names and address of three references, working email and day time telephone contacts.
Send your application not later than 21st January 2021 to
The Executive Director
Anglican Development Services Kenya
P.O. Box 40502-00100, NAIROBI
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please note this is an urgent recruitment shortlisting will be done on rolling basis.